Bogesunds Castle

Having undergone several major renovations and rebuilding in its long history, Bogesunds castle was in need of a total renovation of the façades in 2010. As a listed building, special care needed to be taken in the choice of materials and contractors to do the job. Lime render and lime paint were the natural choices for compatibility with the original materials.

Stockholm

Sweden
Vaxholm outside Stockholm
Contractor
Eskilstuna fasade & Kakel AB
Project Date
2010-2012

Issues and stakes

Bogesunds Castle, situated close to the Swedish capital of Stockholm dates back to 1640 and was originally owned by the Count Per Brahe D.Y. At that time, the castle was in the shape of a square, with four floors and three levels with windows beneath the vaulted roof. He designed and grew two gardens around the castle. The castle stayed in the Brahe family until 1739. In the 1770s the castle underwent a renovation, with wall paper, stoves and unique wood carvings still present from this renovation. Another renovation took place in the 1860s, and in this period the castle were decorated with its characteristic towers. The chapel, cantina and a winter garden were built. In 1946 the Swedish Government took over the property due to lack of maintenance, and as part of this process it was declared as a building with special value as a Cultural Heritage site.

Achievements

During two years, after a close examination of the original renders, colours and construction, a total renovation of the façade started in 2010. In August 2012 it again opened to public. Then more than 3000 m2 of old render had been removed and replaced carefully, and all the windows had been renovated and re-inserted. Old lime cement based mortars were removed by hand and defects in the substrate repaired. The mouldings were repaired. All the render were replaced with lime based materials similar to the original lime based materials. A lime paint pigmented to the original colour (light Ochre), were finally applied- and now the castle appears as it did in the late 19th century. 3000 m2 of old render was removed and re-rendered with lime render and then finally coated with a lime paint.